Anti-Money Laundering

As part of the Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017, we have to obtain and hold identification and proof of address for all customers. The transactions that we deal with are deemed as high risk for money laundering which is why we take our Anti-Money Laundering processes seriously.

Please see below for a full list of acceptable documents required to establish your identity, address details and source of funds.  We will need to have met you in order to certify the documents you bring into the office, or send to us electronically.

Individual identity documents

We require one document from List A and one document from List B.

List A - Identity Document

  • Current, valid signed Passport/Identity card
  • Valid UK or EEA (European Economic Area) driving licence
  • Valid Biometric Residence Permit
  • UK Border Agency Identity Card
  • Firearms certificate or Shotgun certificate
  • Identity card issued by the Electoral Office for Northern Ireland
  • EEA member state identity card
  • HMRC Registration Card CI24 for those who are employed in the Construction industry

List B – Proof of address

Documents from List B should be dated within the last 3 months, unless they’re issued annually.

  • UK/EU/EEA Drivers Licence (if not being used as ID)
  • Valid old style full driving license
  • National Identity Card (if not being used as ID)
  • Bank, Building Society or Credit Union Statement
  • Credit Card Statement
  • UK, EU, EEA Mortgage statement
  • Utility/Telephone Bill
  • Council Tax Bill
  • Universal Credit/ Housing Benefits Letter
  • HMRC Tax Notification
  • UK solicitors letter confirming house purchase/land registration
  • A home visit by an Estate Agent

Certified ID documents 

If we’re not able to meet you we will need to be provided with certified ID documents. It needs to:

  • Be certified by a solicitor, notary or doctor who can be verified online
  • Contain a statement confirming that the document has been certified to be a true copy of the original
  • Confirmation that it is a true likeness of the person to whom it belongs
  • Have an official stamp indicating the certifier’s professional status
  • Be signed and printed with a name and dated by the certifier
  • Contain an address and telephone number for the certifier

Non-Standard ID documents

If for any reason you are unable to provide documents from Lists A, we require two documents to verify identity dated within 3 months:

  • One document issued by a recognised source (such as a central Government/ NHS issued document or letter)
  • One document from List B

Lasting/Enduring Power of Attorney & court Appointed Deputies

If acting under one of the above we require the following:

  • Full Power of Attorney for Property and Financial affairs document, validated by the Office of the Public Guardian on each page OR;
  • Full validated court document appointing the Deputy
  • Individual identity evidence from List A and B for both the attorney(s)/ deputies and donor(s). If the donor is in a care home, we will require a headed letter, or email from a professional email address to confirm.

We’re unable to accept an incomplete document, or the ‘Share code’ summary document.

Deceased Proprietors

If the deceased proprietor is not the only beneficial owner, we are required to establish how the property was owned and by whom. A solicitor will be able to confirm this and it is noted on the land registry title deeds.

  • If the proprietors owned the property as Joint Tenants, the surviving proprietor(s) assume full ownership; we need to confirm that the proprietor is deceased, by the provision of a death certificate
  • If the proprietors owned the property as Tenants in Common, the deceased’s share may not have passed to the surviving proprietor(s). In this instance we will need to follow the Probate section of this policy. 


If you are acting as a Representative of an Estate we require the following:

  • Death Certificate
  • Full copy of the signed Will OR;
  • Grant of probate (if a Will was left) OR Letters of administration (if no Will left) AND;
  • Individual identity evidence from List A & B for the Personal Representative(s), either executor or administrator

Limited company

If you are acting as a Representative of a UK or Overseas Company we are required to identify the Ultimate Beneficial Owner(s) (UBO’s), that’s anyone with more than 25% of shares or voting rights in a company. If we are unable to establish this information using Open Source checks, you may need to provide:

  • A current shareholder register detailing the Ultimate Beneficial Owner(s)
  • Certificate of Incumbency
  • Nominee director declaration and/or general Power of Attorney (if applicable)
  • Individual Identity evidence from List A & B for all UBO’s


If you are acting as a Representative of a Trust we require the following:

  • Trust deed (including a list of trustees and their powers)
  • List of trustees
  • List of beneficiaries
  • Individual Identity evidence from List A & B for all individuals with a vest interest in 25% or more of the capital and/or those who exercise control over the Trust, or
  • Confirmation from a solicitor stating the list of trustees that have the power to buy/ sell property
  • Individual Identity evidence from List A & B for all individuals with a vest interest in 25% or more of the capital and/or those who exercise control over the Trust

Beneficial Ownership of Land/Property

When dealing with the sale/purchase or rental of land/property we require:

  • Land Registry (Register), or
  • Confirmation from solicitor that they have checked title and can confirm the beneficial owners, or
  • TR1 signed by all parties for a pending application of transfer
  • Title Deeds

Source and Proof of funds

As part of the regulations, we are required to identify the original source of the funds for the purchase of property. As an example, if you’re a first-time buyer purchasing using a mortgage we’d need to see 6 months’ worth of bank statements for the deposit, along with an agreement in principle. If, for example someone is gifting funds towards the purchase, this policy will also apply to the Donor(s).

Your local branch can advise further on other types of documentation required to establish the source of the funds.

If you would like to read more about what Andrews does with your data and for what purpose, you can view our Privacy Policy by clicking the link below.